The musings and offerings of a burgeoning greetings master

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The CASE of the Pop-Up Truck


 I saw a really great video tutorial at Darlenedesign.com, where she used the SU Loads of Love stamp set to make a really charming pop-up card.  You can see this idea in video form at her website.  I loved it, and since I owned these stamps, I ran with it for my BIL Ronny's birthday.

I made this--
 And this was only the outside!  When you open it, it looks like this--


Isn't this FUN?  (sorry about the shadows)   The gift card sure doesn't suck, either.  Here's another view of the back and pop-up part--
I really like the way that the candles spring off the cake on those pieces of wire.  The cake is another SU stamp, but I do not know where from.  It was a gift.  It JUST fit into the back of that pickup!

SO, to make this , I stamped the truck onto white card stock, and colored the wheels and windows with copic markers, N3 and N5 on the tires, and N1 for the windows.  I stamped the same image on my random Target DP and fussy cut it out twice.  I also stamped the cake onto some SU DP, and cut it out too, and then I added some color with copics.  I stamped extra candles as well (for the ones that go airborne), colored them and cut them out too.  Oh, and I stamped EXTRA extra candles, because I wanted to back the ones that were going onto the wires, for added support. 

To do the inside background, which was done on separate card stock from the front, I used some Studio G chalk ink in a blue, and after masking off a circle for the sun and the bottom , used my Tim Holtz blending tool to make the sky.  I reversed the mask and then did the grass in a green ink, also by Studio G, and I used a yellow to fill in the sun. ( I really wish they'd label those little stamp pads with color names.) 
For the card front, I split the amount of green and blue, and I added clouds I made with my new A Muse studio clouds duo dies.  They are such cute little clouds...  I added trees with the same green as the grass both inside and out. 

I hand drew the swirls on the front of the card.  That always makes me so nervous! 

To make the pop-up part happen, I cut about a 1/2" by 1" tab right on the fold of the inside of the card and pushed it through in the opposite direction, so it would support my truck.  I layered two candles onto one of the ends of my wire pieces, did it two more times, and then adhered them to the back of the truck, and added a scrap of cs behind the wires to keep them from flopping around too much.  I also added a reserved cloud die cut to use as the exhaust coming out of the truck.

While attaching the truck to the pop out piece, I really paid a good bit of attention to what things were going to do when I tried to close the card.  Making sure you don't have wires exposed or crushed tires is really important at this point.  Go slowly, and don't mash down your adhesive until you're sure!

The sentiments are from the birthday messages  clear vision set by Hero Arts.  This set has a terrific assortment of birthday sentiments.  I use it often.  I thought Seize the Cake was perfect!

To secure the gift card, I colored two corner chipboard pieces with the same ink as my grass, and attached them with some 1/8" scor tape.  Hold the pieces on the edges of your gift card during placement to make sure it will fit! 

All that was left to do was to insert the inside into the card base with some scor tape..  I had some overhang, and I trimmed it off with scissors.  It was pretty heavy, so I did use an extra stamp when sending it.  I have a feeling he'll love it!

Thanks for stopping by! 
All Best-
Richard

PS-  I will most likely have some more to show you this week!  Keep your eyes peeled!!

 



10 comments:

  1. Richard, you have impressed me again with your creativity! What a great card! Your BIL will totally love receiving this card! Thanks for sharing.....oh, by the way, what a nice gift for your BIL! How does one get on your birthday list? lol.... Have a good day, my friend - you hit this card right outa the old ball park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard, what an awesome card! I love the details - and how fun the topic is - excellent work!! I want to try one of these pop-up cards - you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seize the cake...genius! Your swirls on the front of the card were actually the first thing I noticed...made me giggle. Great card Richard. Mind if I case this? It's fantastic!
    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Richard, just stumbled onto your blog and I am so impressed with your beautiful creations and just had to let you know .....
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous pop-up card Richard! I have never attempted one - looks difficult, and you did such a great job! Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard, this is a Fantastic card!! What a superb job! Your BIL must have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bwa ha ha! how cute!!! very creative and terrifically executed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this!! You BIL sure is lucky! A gift card *and* a cute card! Wish somebody loved *me* that much! lol Majorly Awesome and well designed card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Richard, your cards are wonderful but when are you going to tell us how to make them.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much. Thanks for taking the time!