This was done with a Cuttlebug folder on black paper. After impressing the design, I pulled out a white chalk ink pad, and did a direct to paper application, pressing lightly so I would get most of the ink on the cogs alone. As you can see, some of the ink did indeed get on the background, but it sort of gives it a distressed sort of look. I then did a very pale blue chalk ink around the edges, just for some depth.
The little telescope pop-up of the sky and sentiment (GinaK Designs stamp) was done by sponging yellow and pink dyes onto sky paper (DKWV paper) and then cut and embossed with, you guessed it, the cuttlebug. It popped it up with some pop-dots for emphasis. Seems I can't make a card without them these days.
I then dug out my growing collection of brads and pulled out an assortment. I placed them in strategic centers of many of the cogs, and then I put the whole thing onto a white card base.
I really like the strength of this card, and I think there is a terrific implied theme and message. I think I will hold onto this one and think about submitting it for publication at some point.
But WAIT! There's more. Digging about in my scraps folders, of which there are MANY, I came across a piece of white paper that I had used to test out the very same embossing folder that I used in the above project. Hmmm, I thought. Hmmm. I pulled out some ink pads and got to playing around. Some soft pinks and white later, I had this one going.
This one's pretty too, right? The telescope piece is smaller here, and the brads are perkier and shinier. I get a much softer mindset here, too. Not so labor-centric, but maybe more "busy Mum needs a spa day" feeling, maybe. Not so much has changed, but you definitely get a different feel with a totally different color group.
I also wanted to share one more card I made with that FAB gift from my buddy AJ. This was made with the GinaK Designs set, Wishes, and some GinaK Designs DP (that's Designer Paper).
The images and sentiments are all embossed with embossing powder and my heat tool. I used Versamark ink and stamped everything onto the DP and the background at the same time, and then took the DP away and did all of the white Embossing on it, and the black embossing on the white paper.
I moved pretty quickly, so the ink wouldn't dry. It was NOT a panic or anything, because Versamark stays sticky for a fair amount of time, and I did do the flowers before I stamped any of the sentiment.
I adhered the DP to the card base, carefully lining up my letters, and then I dry embossed the border design with my scor-buddy and bone folder.
If you look really carefully, you'll see the "g" in wishing did not work perfectly, and I could've lined up the papers a bit better. Also, even though I used my thingy that supposed to eliminate grease and static before I embossed, I still have some loose flecks of embossing powder. I really need to figure that one out. Practice, practice!! I also thought that maybe "joy & laughter" might better be expressed in something other than black and white, too.
All in all, for a first attempt with this technique, I am pretty happy. Thanks again to AJ for gifting me this set!
That's all from me for now. Thanks for stopping by!!