The musings and offerings of a burgeoning greetings master

Friday, October 11, 2013

Mr Cardmaker is Letting the Paper Do the Work

Well, in the continuing story of "I need a card, NOW", I found myself in need of a masculine-ish (because you know about me and masculine cards, #dontgetmestarted) get well card.

*Now I am laughing, because I do NOT tweet, and am not sure what that hashtag nonsense even IS.  Please ignore my madness...*

ANYWAY--

I have a HUGE assortment of cards hanging about.  THREE shoe boxes full, to be exact.  Do you THINK I had what I needed in all of that? 

Nope.

Well, it was off to the craft room, at a rather late hour, to come up with something.  Happily, I had just loaded up on all kinds of new 6x6 paper pads, and I found some really good inspiration.

I can go crazy with layers, or super minimal with a CAS, but that middle, nice-card-with-not-so-much-stuff area gets wombly on me sometimes. 

So, I let my papers guide me this time.
I came up with this---

 
Now, this is nice, right?  Strong colors, nice geometrics, not so fru-fru.  These papers actually had been cut for some other project, so I played around with the scraps, and added some new pieces where they were needed.  I do love my scraps!  All in all there are seven (!) different papers on this card, all from the same paper pack.  Oh, it's My Mind's Eye Dilly Dally, under the Miss Caroline label.  Everything is layered on a chocolate brown card base.
 
The sentiment is embossed with Stampin' Up Early Espresso powder, and I don't know if it was this project, or my versamark was dry, or what, but I was not a fan of that stuff.  I'll have to play with it some more, but it wasn't sleek and shiny, and I'm really pretty sure I didn't overheat it.  Anyway---
I thought it was getting a bit lost on the dots, so I swiped some white pigment ink over top of the area, and wiped it back off the letters with a baby wipe.  Gently does it here!  I like that the effect looks like a worn fabric.
 
That button is actually some replacement button for a pair of shorts I bought recently. It kind of looks like leather, so I liked it for this project.
 
So, while this isn't SUPER simple, it was made easier by letting the paper take center stage.  I do like to pair up papers and cardstocks and all the rest of the stuff, but this one just came together with the paper all by itself. 
 
 
Thanks for stopping by!
All Best--
Richard
 

 




5 comments:

  1. Love the mix of papers and the white ink over the embossed sentiment is a great tip for me to try! Great card Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card, Richard! I love it when the paper is so awesome that I don't have to stamp! (Check out my post tomorrow). Thanks for sharing...am sure your friend loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful! I love how you work through the challenges and make everything right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome card!
    Don't ya sit there sometimes, and NONE of your scraps come together!?
    This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of giving the shirt off of your back, but the replacement button from your shorts???? LOL Great way to use it for sure. I've created a few cards where I let the paper do the work. I like how quick and easy it can be. Great card. Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much. Thanks for taking the time!