The musings and offerings of a burgeoning greetings master

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

These Rules Were Made for Breaking (And That's Just What I'll Do)

Do you all remember that crazy rant I had about masculine cards and how much I hated "dusty blue" as a color for anything?  Well, you can check it out HERE, and then you can see the follow-up post with the colorful men's cards HERE.
 
ANYWAY--
 
I bought some leaf dies by Tim Holtz, and I was trying them out on some text paper.  I colored them with inks and daubers, and then ran them through some embossing folders and re inked them.  Cool dies, GREAT size.
 
Then it was time to make a card.  AAAAAAAAAAAAnd, I liked this plaid.  I did.  I REALLY liked it.  I paired it with some other papers, with other colors, with other patterns, and I came up with a card. 
 
I made this--
 
Well, I'll be damned if that isn't DUSTY BLUE.  Both on the plaid, and on the more navy colored leaves.  I was so taken in by the other colors (and that rather feisty blue in the tiny leaves) to really notice until I was just about done. 
 
I LOVE the gold and the red in the plaid.  and the gold turning up again in the patterned strip in the middle there.  I think (my memory is going) that the big blue leaves may have been punched from the same paper as the plaid, but from the reverse side, but don't hold me to that.
 
I like how the brown patterned paper speaks to the leaf shapes, too.  And, I really love how those teeny, tiny leaves just POP.
 
So, this is me, eating my words about Dusty Blue.  Like most any color, it's what it's paired with and how it's used that really makes or breaks it.
 
Let's not get used to seeing posts of this ilk, shall we??  Especially since I LIKE this card.  Maybe we can just call it more "denim", and less "dusty?" 
 
Thanks for stopping by!
All Best-
Richard

8 comments:

  1. I am not complaining since blue is my favorite color:). Your card turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh boy...you might be trending already! Out with the old and in with the new. Instead of "eat crow"...#eatdustyblue
    I agree...denim rocks and so does this fabulous card with textures galore :) You did incredible things with that TH die. Lurve them leaves!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason, I am a sucker for plaid, any plaid, no matter what color, even thought I'm not a fan of blue. This card is absolutely delicious - in fact I think I see some waffles and some corn on the cob in there : ) And that bottom paper - wow - it gives such an elegance to the plaid and the denim : ) So good to see you here - come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bwahahahahaha! You totally crack me up Richard! Well I totally LOVE it that you're so honest about having to eat your words! And this card soooooo ROCKS!!!! That plaid dp is really cool and those leaves are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't stopped by in a while and am so glad I saw this! Not only did it give me a much needed laugh, but I can relate because I do things like this all the time. I hate yellow until I make something I love with it...
    For what it's worth, I think your 'denim' card looks amazing and I'm loving the leaves!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't care what color it is, that's a really great card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely denim - and aren't our oldest jeans our favorites?! I love the card, too, Richard! It has amazing details and yes, the little bright blue leaves do POP. But I think it's the waffle and the alligator-like dot textures that really grab me! (is it bad to analyze so much?) Maybe I should just leave it at - excellent work!!! Very Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry I missed this great card! I was in Germany visiting the NEW GRANDDAUGHTER!!! Anyway, thought I'd drop by to see what you've been doing. This is the coolest card! I think it's one of your best! And, Sir Richard, that is definitely Denim blue - no dust there at all! Thanks for sharing - great card!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much. Thanks for taking the time!