The musings and offerings of a burgeoning greetings master

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Mr Cardmaker is Neutral about Being In the Pink

Well, I happened to stumble upon the MTF Card Challenge site this week, via the lovely and UBER talented Kay Miller. If you don't know her and her beautiful cards, as well as her amazing polymer clay ornaments, you REALLY want to!

The sketch challenge this week looks like this--

I made this--


I used the MFT new Flashy Florals card kit to do most of this card, with the addition of the flower on the black strip, where I grabbed a stamp from MFT Warm Wishes stamp set to do non-holiday duty!

I was channeling my inner Kay Miller when I made this card, because you will find, when you visit her blog, that she is the reigning queen of the gray leaf. She is my muse!


I worked my white pigment ink and versamark ink hard on this project, as well as my clear and white embossing powders. I was able to create a variety of both shade and sheen, whether it's the flat white on the card base, the shiny, yet muted white on the black panel, or the flat stamped leaves against the shiny embossed flowers. Sheen is so hard to photograph. You may get an idea of it in this close-up--

In this close-up you can see the difference in doing the clear embossing powder over the finished flower, like in the white flower, vs doing the white embossed center over the clear embossing on the black flower. The white flower has a diffused, almost antique melty effect. Kind of a cool look!
This was an instance when I got a solid idea about where I wanted to go pretty quickly, which is a rare occasion for me, honestly. I'm pretty happy with this one!
Try this challenge--it was fun!

Thanks so much for stopping by!
All Best--
Richard

5 comments:

  1. So elegant and rich looking! The black and white and grey make this so formal Richard! I love your grey leaves - you did Kay proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne is right! You sure did me proud! And in the process, my head has become three sizes larger! haha! Just kidding! I appreciate you mentioning me and your very very nice comments :) Totally made my day!! Your card is just stunning! Love the arrangement of the flowers and "gray leaves", and those colors are superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card and great sketch and colors too! Great floral arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Great take on the sketch and beautiful color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! This is a stunner, really beautiful take on the sketch. Cx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much. Thanks for taking the time!