The musings and offerings of a burgeoning greetings master

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Mr Cardmaker Joins 12 Kits Again!!




I am SO happy to once again be joining my dear friend Jeanne Jachna as a guest designer at 12 Kits of Occasions! This year, Jeanne has January, and even though all the Christmas snow has flown, there's a whole winter to get through. Snow Days is the theme this month!

Jeanne's kit was full of the most wonderful, beautiful and fun elements to use for all sorts and styles of winter card. I was so thrilled to get it, and so glad I have plenty of materials left over, too! More cards, please...

Now, this year the DH and I moved to FLORIDA, so snow days are a thing of the past for me. We DID have some nights in the low 30s, which is dastardly cold for south Florida, but nary a flake.

After many years in northern climes, I believe my memory holds, for the moment, anyway. I think (hope!) that I have risen to the occasion.

I made this--




This beautiful die cut background piece layered just beautifully over some of the gorgeous papers in the kit. I had to go nutty and embellish it with some glitter, as I have been known to do...
I Copic colored the figures, using colors I found in the papers,and popped them up onto the scene with foam tape. I then added some stickles to my "pond" to add to all the iciness.
The sentiment is matted with some black cardstock scraps to make the pieces stand out. I used Glossy Accents to glue wads of clear sequins to the frame.

Next up--

I love this BIG stamped sentiment panel. I inked the edges, and combined it with the mittens from the kit. A couple of paper panels, a couple of snowflakes, and some pearl embellishments, and this one was done! I love letting the sentiment do all the work for you!

NEXT--

I was so lucky to get TWO of these skate die cuts in my kit. I'm not sure I was supposed to, but I'm NOT giving it back! Isn't it just gorgeous??
I gently ink blended some blue on, just for a bit of depth, and colored the laces with a Copic marker. I really wanted to just look at these skates, so a bit of a spotlight, via the yellow circle diecut, was in order.
When I went to assemble this 4"x4"card, I really wanted to carry the idea of the laces forward, so I used the same Copic I used to color the diecut to color a bit of white hemp string. I just kept running the tip over the string until it was all covered, and the right shade. 
I finished it all off with some snowflake diecuts coated with clear Wink of Stella, and the "brrrr" diecut which I coated with some Glossy Accents. 

Next-


Talk about gorgeous diecuts! These trees are just amazing. I stuck a big piece of post-it paper over the back and separated the trees from the background, and then VERY carefully inked the background pieces with Distress Inks. I spritzed it all with some water and set it aside to dry while I added just a touch of ink and some sparkle to the trees and hill.
I originally had reassembled all the pieces and was going to leave it as that, but then I found the little deer diecut, and HAD to add it.I think I would have been a little more BLEAK without it, and who wants a card that reads BLEAK?
I'm SO happy with how the inking worked out.

And finally--

That polar bear really spoke to me, as did the beautiful snowy frame diecut. I used a bit of glitter paper to create a snowy hill, and I did some VERY soft inking with minty green to set him off from the snow (Sorry that doesn't seem to show in the photos). The layered "Winter" diecuts are so lovely, and I was really glad I went with deeper shades there. I actually like the darkness of winter, in the right setting, as well of the play of light on things. ( I don't necessarily love it getting dark at 4pm, but you know what I mean...)
I gave him a bit of snowy forest to wander through, and added some big wooden snowflakes to the storm. A few grey and teal embellishments add some interest, and finish things off!

A HUGE thanks to the wonderful and super-talented Jeanne Jachna for asking me to play with these amazing crafters and to enjoy this fabulous kit!

Please head over to the 12 Kits Blog to see SO MANY more wonderful things to do with all these supplies!

Thank you so much for stopping by!
All Best-
Richard


14 comments:

  1. WOW...5 FABULOUS cards Richard!! Totally LOVE all the glitter in your first card...I mean the snow really does sparkle like that when the sun hits it, right?!! And oh my...your 4th card just blew me away! Love, love, LOVE that background! And I just love the distressed look to your winter and bear card...that vintage look just really pulled me in and I do believe I have enough supplies left to CASE you...thank you, thank you for the inspiration! Lovely job on all your cards Richard...always enjoy seeing your work! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful array of winter card designs. All are so amazingly created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards, Sir Richard!!! Love this kit idea! We just got back yesterday from Florida, and I SO wanted WARM! Mother Nature had other plans, involving cool temps and umbrellas. Bah! We were up in Ft. Walton Beach/Destin area meeting our son and his family there for a few days. I can't pick a favorite here - but I will say that I'm delighted to see you on the blog again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing as always Richard! I'm so glad you said YES! I love your vision of the kit - the inky accents you added to everything (still fearless - never afraid to color a die cut) takes them from flat to fab and brings them to life! I love the glitter and I think my fave has to be the last one with the polar bear, or the one with the deer - the sky is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow~ Your cards have totally blown me away! I love all the glitter and shine you've added to your cards. It definitely kicks them up a notch and really makes them feel so wintery and your background coloring is just amazing!! That deer card... oh my! I so enjoyed seeing how you used Jeanne's fun kit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited to see you joining our group again, your cards never disappoint! Love all your incredible detail to the little things and adding so many wonderful touches to your amazing cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Five for five. The deer amidst trees is really, really special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Richard, so happy to have you guesting with us this month! What a fabulous line-up of cards you have for our viewing pleasure. The frosty sparkle on the first on his incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Richard! So glad you joined us, again. Your cards are always a joy. Looking through the techniques, I'm in awe at all of them. The mittens forming a heart? LOVE! Of course those skates... gorgeous! And all the beautiful glittery effect of the first card, snowy delight. Saving the best for last, the inked bg of the tree scene is a wonder. Must do that more often. Love the effect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Richard, it has been such a joy to have you join us again! Loved all your wonderful creations. Your great coloring and attention to detail is fantastic. The deer card is stunning (amazing background) and your bear design is a wintery, snowy beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Richard, I'm so happy that you used those mittens - being from the Mitten State, I'm sure you know I'm totally embarrassed that I DIDN'T!!!
    Happy to have your charming self on the Team again, and every single one of your charming creations just totally make me smile... even the Polar bear who walked through the freshly mown grass! xo
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...I love what you did with Jeanne's kit...each card is so unique. I was especially drawn to your use of the glitter to sparkle it all up. I also love the shading you did on the deer die cut and your use of all the different patterned papers. I can totally see why you were asked to guest design this kit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Richard I love what you did with Jeanne's kit ! I see you were able to layer your cards with ease like Jeanne can. I love that winter mountain scene with just a bit of glitter . All of them beautiful! I have been loving your calendar pages!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Richard I always love it when you are our guest, you create the most amazing cards and always see the components of the kit in a different light. Although I love them all the very first card has my heart, what a wonderful way to use those elements. Thank you for guesting with us once again and enjoy your cold 30 F while I struggle in the cold -30 C temperatures! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much. Thanks for taking the time!